Thursday, April 1, 2010

Thursday Tips - April 1st



Coffee with Me Thursday Tips


Today I have another two for one tip, but you can't have one without the other. :)

Most of the time I love to sew. I think I was conditioned from classes in school to cut threads after the project was completed so someone else could use the machine quicker. Then I learned this tip from Cathe (and I can't find her blog - if I find it later, I'll add a link). CUT YOUR THREADS AS YOU GO!!!!!! I can't even begin to describe how much easier it is to cut as you go. At the end of each seam, I clip and close as I can with the cutter on the machine and then I pick up the scissors and spend approximately 1.34879 seconds cutting the threads at the beginning of the seam. Then when I sew the last stitch - my garment is done. Oh, what a glorious feeling!

The second part of the tip is get a trash can of some sort and keep it handy. I use this pink tote. It folds flat and fits in my sewing cabinet drawer when not in use. It has a metal frame that crosses on each end and keeps it open. I can fit lots of excess stabilizer and backing, thread, broken needles, etc in this little jewel. I think I purchased it at Hobby Lobby for a couple of dollars (when containers were half price of course!).

Here's a bonus tip - Check out Melissa's blog at Coffee With Me for even more great tips!

2 comments:

  1. Great tips! You should have taken my class...I could have saved you a lot of headache. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great tip!! I hate all those little threads to clip!

    Thanks for linking up with Thursday Tips!!

    Melissa
    http://coffeewithme.com

    ReplyDelete