Thursday, August 29, 2013

The Family That Works Together . . .


stays together. Kent and I have always taken the opportunity to work with our children whenever possible. We want them to appreciate work and realize that it's part of life. If you develop a positive attitude towards work early, it will be beneficial for life.



Our older children do earn money when they work in the family business on auction day as they have replaced other people we paid wages {they also don't earn full adult pay}, but most of their "work" is unpaid. We're all part of the same family and what benefits the family as a whole, benefits each member.


Of course, all work isn't drudgery and working with our children is a great way to accomplish a task and spend time together. They have also learned lots of valuable skills for life. Ty is learning to be a competent equipment operator and Madisyn is learning how to run the office.


Even before Papaw passed away the kids fondly talked about past auctions and how they worked with him. Those memories are even more sweet now that he is no longer here with us.  When you own a family business, family and business are intricately woven together.


There are a lot more opportunities to work than to play in life. If you can learn to find the joy in work, life will be more pleasant. If you're always counting down the days until you have a day off, life will become intolerable.


It seems lately that we've had several comments about our children being good workers and how lucky we are that they have such a good work ethic. I am very proud of our children. They are not perfect and they are all still in a training period.  I don't mention any of this to brag on them or on ourselves. I want to share the "secret".


First, luck has nothing to do with it. Everything we have is a blessing from God. Furthermore, Proverbs 22 : 6 says, "Train up a child in the way he should go". They have their strong work ethic because of training. When they were 2 or 3, Daddy let them help. As long as they can remember, they've helped with the auction business but also folded laundry, wiped off counters, and swept floors. They didn't do the job perfectly the first time and rarely complete it perfectly now, but they are learning. We are training them {along with Unc, Nana, Mammie, Granddaddy and Papaw}.  All of us {children and adults} aren't finished and are very much still in the process.



Even a child is known by his doings, whether his work be pure, and whether it be right.
Proverbs 20:11
You may wonder where the other children were while the auction was being set up . . .





they weren't quite as diligent as their older sister and brother, but they're still learning.

8 comments:

  1. It is such a blessing to be able to have a family business where your children can be involved. We have a family business too. We started our business out of necessity ( so I could stay home with the kids). Now, we are truly seeing the blessings, as my son is able to go to work with my husband and learn a trade. ( and more importantly, learning how to live with God always in the forefront)
    A brother in Christ said, " I don't use my children to build my business, but use my business to build my kids."

    ReplyDelete
  2. By the way, I think we have the same diesel burning van (; that's a cute pic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've had our Sprinter for about two years and really like it. How long have you had yours? I'm so glad we bought it instead of something else. The 20 mpg has really been great because a trip to town is a minimum of 50 miles.

      Delete
  3. I have only had it for 6 months and we love it. We had an e350, but travel a lot and wanted something more comfortable for long road trips. I didn't like the thought of driving something so big at first, but I can squeeze it into tiny spots now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get in my husband's truck or an SUV and it feels so small! The Lord really blessed us when we found our van. It's been a bit of a pain to service as the dealer is 5 hours away. I take it to the Freightliner dealer but it's not a big truck so I end up waiting all day. The service aspect is the only downside to owning it. We still have people regularly ask to see inside it which can be a pain as it's sure an attention getter.

      Delete
  4. Oh my! There is a little known dealer that services them in memphis call TAG trucks. That I where I am going in te next 500 miles. We drove all the way to te space center in Alabama on half a tank of gas (; like $40 worth of gas. You mentioned the only two negatives I have encountered. I don't like strangers at gas station asking to look inside! Hopefully, the maintenance won't be so bad. I will let you know afterwards because surely Memphis is closer than five hours???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TAG is where I go. That's the place that takes all day because I get bumped for big trucks. They do have a nice waiting area as long as you get there early and get the tv remote. ;-) My idea (and I'm sure yours) of quality tv and other people's ideas aren't the same. I'd rather it be off but that doesn't really seen to be an option. They just think I don't know how it works and turn it back on. LOL They do know their stuff at that TAG and are very nice. The dealer makes appointments and I would be out in two hours. TAG makes appointments but they aren't concerned with speedy service for Mercedes Sprinters.

      Maybe you won't have strangers ask to look in yours. :-) We're recognized in three counties by our van and have yet to encounter another except at a homeschool convention! Most people seem to think it's an RV.

      Delete
  5. Ok, obviously, that is NOT what I wanted to hear (;!!!! I guess I'll have my husband take it

    ReplyDelete