Thursday, March 11, 2010

Thursday Tips 3/11

Coffee with Me - Thursday Tips
Sorry, this week's tip has no pictures. I forgot to take some when I was using the tip myself. I'll try to do better next week. To make up for it - I'll share two.
As I mentioned last week, I love tips that help me in the kitchen. I actually enjoy cooking and baking but most nights the need for fast meals overcomes the desire for elaborate.
I buy hamburger meat in 10 lb packages and cook it all at once. I actually boil it. I dig out my huge stock pot, dump all the meat in with enough water to cover and bring to a rolling boil for about 20 minutes. I just use a spoon to break it apart as it cooks. I shut the burner off and let it cool. After I drain the water off I divide it into freezer bags/save a meal bags and freeze. Then when we want spaghetti or mushroom gravy I grab a bag and toss it in. I can fix spaghetti in the time it takes to cook the noodles. I also tend to divide the meat into 15 or so bags so it stretches a little farther.
Tip 2 - I bake my own bread. A few times a month I bake 4 or 8 loaves and freeze the extra. Before I put the loaves in the freezer, I slice the entire loaf then bag as usual. I always seemed to run out of bread and need more now. LOL If I forget to thaw a loaf a few slices can be removed from the bag and they defrost in a matter of minutes or can be popped in the toaster for instant use.
Now go visit Melissa at Coffee With Me and see what other great tips you can find!

2 comments:

  1. Great kitchen tips. I tried boiling my meat recently (after the HK thread about it) and it was great! I've done it several times since. I admit I was extremely skeptical.

    I just "followed" you via Google Friend Connect. You've been on my feed reader for a very long time though. I need to comment more often. hehe

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never tried boiling the meat, but I've been seeing that a lot lately. I still don't know if I can bring myself to do it!

    Love the tip about the bread!!! Thanks for joining up with Thursday Tips!

    http://coffeewithme.com

    ReplyDelete