Thursday, March 18, 2010

Zoo Reunion

Last week the kids and I were headed to the Memphis Library to pick up our school books for the next 3 weeks and decided to made a stop at the zoo. I announced our plans on Facebook to see if anyone wanted to join us. Alison and Ruth took us up on our offer. Alison was in our Bradley birth class last year and this was the first opportunity we had to meet up.

I need it recorded for all posterity - the kids and I were early! We actually got to the zoo about 15 minutes early (after potty breaks even!) so the kiddos played on the playground while we waited.


It's amazing how quickly playground skills improve. I didn't have to help Ben with anything. Henry was in the wrap, so all I had to do was watch.


When we were almost to Memphis I realized that I forgot my camera. My husband bought me a DSLR because I'm such a photo bug and I ran off and left it at home.


Most of the playground pictures were taken with the camera on my phone. It's amazing how technology has changed. The camera on my phone is far superior to the first few digital cameras we owned and we thought those were something! ha! Thankfully Alison saved the day and sent me a copy of the pictures she took as well.






I told them to be careful on the monkey bars, I didn't want any keepers thinking their beloved animals had gotten loose. :)



It turned out to be a bit cool but Henry stayed nice and toasty wrapped on Momma.


Aren't our friends adorable! Ruthie is turning 1 tomorrow and she is just the cutest thing! I love her red hair and blue eyes. I had a great time walking and chatting with Alison. It's nice to hang out with other moms.



I was surprised at how well Ty did with the horses. He sure has calmed his movements greatly over the last year or so. He used to dart around and the animals were scared of him - not any more!



Climbing on the cow for a group shot is a zoo tradition.


Photos with people hatching in the eggs are another must do. I need to see if I can find the picture of Uncle Kirk hatching - that's one that should be framed. :)






The kids were so excited to see that the python had been replaced. A python died last year and they last time we visited, the cage was empty. They don't get their joy over a new snake from their Momma!
See what I mean - Don't you just want to pinch those little cheeks!?!?!?!



I don't know how many times I have been to the zoo in the last 5 or 6 years but this was the first time I had ever seen the pandas out of their glass enclosures.
I don't know if Alison will trust my judgement on a good time to visit the zoo again. Soon after we got to the new Teton Trek exhibit it started to rain. Henry and Ruth got their first experience of being out in the rain but I think everyone dried quickly.
Thanks for joining us Alison and Ruth! We had a great time and can't wait to do it again!!

1 comment:

  1. Oh how sad... I didn't know the python died. He's been there since I was a little girl, it seems...

    We do the traditional children on the cow picture too! I think last year we had one on the ground because we have outgrown the cow!

    I don't think I can put a pic here... but here's a link to our cow pic!
    http://tonyanddanalewis.blogspot.com/2009/05/day-6-memphis-zoo.html

    ReplyDelete